Roasted Sweet Peppers slathered in a green chutney? yes, please! We absolutely love this delicious goodness of roasted sweet peppers as an appetizer or a side dish. I like to make a big batch of these and use the leftovers for mind-blowing vegetarian subs. So good you won’t stop eating, I promise.
Don’t you just love easy recipes that can be a great side dish and for easy meal preps? I live for those recipes. Whether if it’s for those busy days with kids’ homework, running errands, meal preparation for Ramadan, or just for the sake of lazy days, I love easy meals that can be prepared in no time. Healthy, full of goodness, nutrients, and fibers in one meal and can be prepared in no time. Yes, please!
The sub sandwiches made from those roasted sweet peppers slathered in green chutney are lip-smacking delicious. Who says vegetarian/vegan-friendly sandwiches are boring?! Fresh, sweet, spicy flavors wrapped in a filling sub roll. Can you imagine that one bite of all those delicious flavors 🤤?
How I came up with these?
A couple of years ago we visited Dana Point, CA. While strolling around the gorgeous Dana point beach, we stumbled upon a tiny restaurant hidden in a shopping mall. They had wonderful fish sandwich options but I decided to go for their vegan roasted pepper sandwich. Sadly, I can’t recall the name of the restaurant but I can’t forget those flavors of that roasted pepper sandwich. My Indian take on roasted pepper sub roll sandwich isn’t the exact sandwich I had. However, the inspiration to create these roasted pepper sandwiches certainly came from the visit to this unique restaurant.
I love making this recipe ahead of time. I like to drizzle a little extra EVOO and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Honestly, these peppers taste great the next day. All the juices of roasted peppers and green chutney mingling overnight create delicious goodness that your taste buds just can’t forget the taste. They stay great for a week and a half. For the best taste, finish them within a week.
Can I substitute ingredients?
I don’t recommend substituting ingredients if you are aiming for the same results as mine. However, you can be more creative and use the peppers in your creative meal plans. You can use them in Pizza, pasta, sandwiches, serve them as an appetizer or side dish, or just munch on them as a healthy snack.
To roast the Peppers
- 1 bag mini sweet peppers, cut in halves and seeds removed
- a generous drizzle of oil
For Green Chutney
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsps fresh mint
- 1 jalapeño
- half lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, optional
To marinade the Peppers
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil, use sweet kind
- 1/4 cup green chutney, more if you like
- Line a large baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wash and pat dry the peppers. Cut them into halves. Remove the core and seeds. you may leave the top or remove it.
- Spread the peppers evenly on a lined baking sheet and drizzle some oil on it.
- Bake it at 400 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until nicely chard.
- Combine all the chutney ingredients in a food processor. Blend the ingredients until smooth or your desired consistency.
- In a large bowl, combine roasted peppers, extra virgin olive oil, and chutney.
- Serve it as an appetizer, snack, or create a meal with it.
How I created these sub-sandwiches?
-Chutney marinated roasted Sweet Peppers, see the recipe above.
-Green chutney, see the recipe above.
-Avo mayo or Mashed Avocado
-Thinly sliced tomatoes
-Thinly sliced cucumbers
-Thinly sliced jalapeno
-Bunch of cilantro
-Lemon pickled thinly sliced red onions(Thinly sliced onions marinade in freshly squeezed lemon juice and salt for couple of hours in the refrigerator)
– Slit the center of the sub rolls and toast them in a toaster or conventional oven.
– Spread avo mayo on one side of the bread. Assemble the veggies and roasted peppers in the order you like.
– Top it off with green chutney. You may fit in your choice of protein in the sandwiches.
I love seeing your feedback on my recipes. Also, it helps me encourage and inspire to create better content. Try my recipes if you find the ingredients suitable for your palate. Share my blog if you like my content. And, leave me a comment below with your feedback if I inspired or helped you with your meal prep ideas.
Thank you for your support!