What if I tell you that I have an easy fix lasagna recipe that tastes just like having butter chicken and garlic naan? Yes, you heard it right. The best and foolproof butter chicken Lasagna that tastes just like butter chicken and garlic naan.
When I got married, my husband asked me to make Lasagna as his mother makes. Though I like the layers of pasta and cheese, I wasn’t a huge fan of ground beef cooked and mixed with tomato sauce. Growing up, beef just wasn’t part of my primary diet. I grew up eating butter chicken, chicken tikka, and anything curried up with Indian spices. He loves all the Indian dishes so I figured why not give the classic Lasagna a little Indian makeover and create something that we both can enjoy eating.
That’s how butter chicken lasagna was invented. I used to make butter chicken from scratch. No tomato sauce or spice boxes. I still cook from scratch sometimes but when motherhood keeps you busy, you have to come up with an easier way to fix dinners and that includes my curries lol. Using tomato sauce makes this recipe easier to cook. Once you’ll make it, you won’t need any instructions for your remakes next time.
What makes this Lasagna taste like having butter chicken with garlic Naan? I have used fresh cilantro and garlic in the butter chicken and lasagna layers. Adding Cilantro and garlic on cheese and then layering the noodles on top makes the flavors of cilantro-garlic stick to the pasta. So when you take that one bite of butter chicken with garlicky pasta, it’s like eating creamy butter chicken with garlic naan. You got to try it to experience what I am talking about lol.
Make-ahead- This is a great make-ahead recipe for meal preparation. Butter chicken can be prepared at least 2 weeks ahead and stored in the freezer. Defrost it a night before in the refrigerator, reheat and bake the lasagna for quick meal prep or Ramadaan meals.
Freezer Meals- Great for freezer meals. Baked lasagna stays great in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. This is such a great meal to have it prepared ahead of time for Ramadaan.
Gluten-free option- to make this meal gluten-free, you may use gluten-free noodles or Zucchini, yellow squash.
Tip- For the best results and tastes cook it fresh and do not substitute ingredients.
Butter Chicken Lasagna
- 15 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 3 chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups Rao’s All-purpose tomato sauce or marinara
- 1/4 cup oil or butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- A bunch of cilantro
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander powder
- 1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves
- Salt to taste
- 9✖️13 baking dish
- Wash and dry cilantro. Chop cilantro and garlic cloves in a food processor or a chopper.
- Preheat the oven to 365 F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add chicken, all the dry spices, and 3 tbsp coriander-garlic mix.
- Mix it well and cook until all the chicken juice dries out.
- Add tomato sauce to the chicken. Cover the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes on low heat. Now add heavy cream and dry fenugreek. Mix it gently and turn off the heat.
- Layering the Lasagna
- We will create 3 layers of lasagna noodles, and 2 layers of butter chicken, cheese, and cilantro-garlic.
- Take some gravy and spread it at the bottom of the baking dish. Place 5 lasagna sheets, spread half of the butter chicken evenly on top. Make sure noodles are covered with sauce completely.
- Spread half-cup mozzarella cheese and half of the cilantro-garlic. Repeat the same layering using the rest of the ingredients, leaving some gravy and mozzarella to top off the last batch of 5 lasagna sheets.
- Add 1/4 cup warm water to the gravy and spread it evenly on the top layer.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Cover the dish with Aluminum foil. Make sure the foil doesn’t touch the cheese.
- Bake it in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes at 365 F.
- Serve it hot.
Feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions regarding my recipes.