Thikhi Khichdi aka Spicy Rice with vegetables. This one-pot vegetable spicy rice dish is my childhood favorite. Rice cooked in Indian spices and vegetables is sure to give you fuzzy feelings, unless you are one of those who can’t handle any spices at all. My mother always added Pigeon peas(Gandules) and Potatoes to this delicious one-pot vegetable spicy rice and served it with Onion Raita.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This one-pot rice recipe was and still my mother’s go-to recipe. And, now it is mine as well. Who doesn’t love one pot quick and easy recipes that can be fixed in under 30 minutes and especially if it is made with Rice then heck, yes! Rice is my soul ingredient. I can not imagine eliminating rice from my diet. If I have to give up on carbs, I would rather give up on white flour-based food but not rice. Rice in any form is a blessing to my soul and body lol. It keeps me going. It’s all about portion control rather than giving up on food you love unless otherwise prescribed by your provider.
PS, those Thai green chilies on top are for aroma. It is completely up to you whether to eat them or toss them out. I like to eat them until my inner soul screams and says “enough”.
This is not a make-ahead recipe. However, it does not require a ton of prep or cooking time and can be served as a meal or side dish.
Total cooking and preparation time for this vegetable spicy rice recipe is less than 30 minutes. Who doesn’t love meals that are quick, delicious, and cooked with all fresh ingredients? This recipe is always on my Ramadan iftar menu.
Adding Proteins to Vaghareli Khichdi-Spicy Rice
You may add chicken to add protein to this one-pot vegetable spicy rice dish. Add chicken while sauteing the spices and vegetables. Cook until chicken is no longer pink then add rice. I don’t recommend adding beef or lamb meat if you are aiming for a quick meal. If you have pre-cooked beef or lamb leftovers, go ahead and add them to the rice. Also, check out my Chicken Biryani recipe for rice with a protein option.
SONA MASOURI Rice for Vaghareli Khichdi?
Any Indian store in the US should have Sona Masoori rice. I highly recommend using this rice for rice recipes that call for small grain rice. Sona Masoori rice is unpolished rice grain that contains low GI value. Low GI value means they are a lot less in carbohydrates compared to other white rice. Not only does it have great nutrient value but they taste sweet and delicious. Also, If you are just starting to learn to make rice, then Sona Masoori rice is definitely for you. You can’t go wrong with it even if you end up using a little extra water while cooking it. Masouri rice is my go-to for one-pot vegetable spicy rice.
What to Serve Gujarati Spicy Rice with
I love serving Tikhi Khichdi with Onion-Raita. Although any Yogurt Raita would go great with this recipe. The creamy texture, and right water consistency of Indian yogurt Raita is a great condiment for any meal.
STORING AND REHEATING
I love leftovers for lunch! I like to store my leftover in airtight containers. This vegetable spicy rice stays great for up to four days in a refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. You can simply microwave the rice for reheating.
ONE-POT VEGETABLE SPICY RICE WITH ONION RAITA
- Instant Pot
For Vegetable Spicy Rice
- 2 cups Sona Masoori small rice or Basmati rice
- 1 cup Pidgeon Peas (Tuvar Lilva) or Green Peas
- 2 ripe tomatoes , roughly chopped
- 2 cups water , add 1/2 cup more for aged basmati rice
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4-5 peppercorns
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmir Chili powder , more if you like spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pinch of Garam Masala , optional
- 1 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 2-3 green chilis
- A handful of chopped Cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped Mint
- 4 gold potatoes halves , optional
For Onion Raita
- 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt , preferbly Indian yogurt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 chopped green chili , optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- salt to taste
For Vegetable Spicy Rice
- 1. Wash the rice and soak it in water. Meanwhile, heat oil in IP on saute setting or pressure cooker. Add whole spices and cook for a few seconds or until fragrant. Add Ginger-garlic paste and all the powdered spices except the Garam Masala. Add tomatoes, potatoes, and peas.
- 2. Cook until the oil starts to release and the tomatoes soften. Add rice, water, garam masala, green chilies, cilantro, and mint. Mix it well. Cover the lid. Cancel the saute setting and pressure cook on the low-pressure setting for 12 minutes with the natural steam release.
- 3. Serve it with Raita (Indian Yogurt Sauce) or Kachumbar (Indian Salad).
If you are using a regular pressure cooker, pressure cook on medium-high heat for two whistles then reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes with the natural steam release.
For Onion Raita
- 1. Whisk yogurt in a medium prep bowl until smooth. Add onion, chopped chili, cilantro, and salt. Mix until well combined. Serve immiditely or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Tried this Recipe? Tag me on Instagram @feastwithsafiya #feastwithsafiya
- Seekh Kabab Recipe-Easy Seekh Kebab
- Onion Raita-Onion Raita for Biryani
- Cilantro Chutney Raita-Indian Yogurt Sauce
- Potato Samosa Recipe-Easy Aloo Samosa
- Instant Shishito Pepper Pickle(Athela Marcha)
- Baked Fish Masala-Whole Fish Masala Recipe
- The Best Paneer Biryani Recipe-Veg Paneer Biryani
- Stuffed Eggplant(Bharela Ringan Nu Shaak)
- No-Knead Bread Recipe!-How to Make Bread?
- Eggplant Paneer Masala Curry
Mother, Wife, Indian-American born and raised in the small town of India. Former IT employee now a food blogger. A self-taught food photographer.
I choose to cook with Whole Foods and Clean Ingredients as my Mother did. I am a firm believer in cooking meals with lots of vegetables, little meat, and generous spices.