Korean sweet and spicy chicken is adored by everyone in my family! Tender chicken strips marinated in spicy Korean chili Gochujang and brushed with honey-sriracha sauce while cooking. This spicy Korean chicken on a stick is a perfect combination of sweet and spicy flavors.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This spicy Korean chicken on a stick recipe is inspired by Chungah from Damndelicious. Many years ago I came across Chungah’s recipe for Korean Chicken Kabobs. I still can’t get over the sweet and spicy taste of juicy chicken Kebabs. I have modified the recipe and ingredients according to my family’s tastes and dietary needs.
As soon as summer grilling season hits in Utah, I love making this juicy and succulent spicy Korean chicken on a stick kebabs for my family. This korean chicken on a stick is a perfect treat for backyard parties, and picnics. My kids have been very good at handling the spices. I have raised them to eat spices, just like my Mama did. So, that being said this recipe is moderately spicy. If moderately spicy isn’t for you then you can reduce the measurement of Gochujang. I would not recommend using any other substitute.
Preparing the Marinade for Spicy Korean Chicken on a Stick
For the best taste, I like to marinade the chicken overnight. All the flavors soak so well into the chicken and it also helps cook juicy chicken. Originally I shared this recipe on my Instagram first. Many of the followers on Instagram thoroughly enjoyed this recipe with overnight marination. Also, some of the people who tried this recipe chose to cut the chicken into cubes rather than strips. You may choose to cut the chicken into cubes or strips, it is completely up to you.
Where can I find Gochujang?
You should be able to find Gochujang pepper flakes from your local Asian store. I would call in before visiting the store if you live far away from it. Also, Gochujang is available online. You can purchase it from my Amazon Storefront. You may use Gochujang paste of flakes(Gochugaru) for this recipe. Paste has moderately pungent smell to it and salty in taste. Which I believe creates the authentic taste of Gochujang.
Try my other delicious and easy Chicken recipes.
KOREAN CHICKEN ON A STICK
- 3 chicken breast
- 1/2 inch grated ginger
- 4 cloves grated garlic
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10-15 medium bamboo skewers
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 1/4 teaspoon gochujang
- ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a medium prep bowl and whisk until smooth. Set it aside until ready to use.
- Cut chicken breast into thin, long strips or small 1/2 inch cubes. Marinade the chicken with all the ingredients listed for marination and half the sauce. Marinade the chicken for at least 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator for the best results.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers evenly. Heat a grilling pan on medium heat. Brush the sauce lightly on skewers and cook it for 5 to 8 minutes on one side. Flip the skewers and brush them with sauce again. Cook on the other side until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve it with leftover sweet and spicy gochujang sauce.
Cooking time for grilling the chicken on an outdoor grill is the same as cooking on a grilling pan indoors.
Tried this Recipe? Tag me on Instagram @feastwithsafiya #feastwithsafiya
Mother, Wife, Indian-American born and raised in the small town of India. Former IT employee now a food blogger. A self-taught food photographer.
I choose to cook with Whole Foods and Clean Ingredients as my Mother did. I am a firm believer in cooking meals with lots of vegetables, little meat, and generous spices.