Thikhi Khichdi aka Spicy Rice with veggies. Childhood favorite vegan spicy rice cooked in Indian spices and veggies that is sure to give you fuzzy feelings, unless you are one of those who can’t handle any spices at all. My mother always added Pidgeon Peas and Potatoes and served it with Onion Raita or Chhas(Gujarati Yogurt drink).
This one pot rice recipe was and still my mother’s go-to recipe. And, now it is mine as well. Who doesn’t love one pot quick and easy recipes that can be fixed in under 30 minutes and especially if it is made with Rice then heck, yes! Rice is my soul ingredient. I can not imagine eliminating rice from my diet. If I have to give up on carbs, I would rather give up on white flour-based food but not rice. Rice in any form is a blessing to my soul and body lol. It keeps me going. It’s all about portion control rather than giving up on food you love unless otherwise prescribed by your provider.
PS, those Thai green chilies on top are for aroma 😂🤣. It is completely up to you whether to eat them or toss them out. I like to eat them until my inner soul screams and says “enough” 🤣😂.
This recipe is not a make-ahead recipe. However, it does not require a ton of prep or cooking time and can be served as a meal or side dish.
Total cooking and preparation time for this recipe is less than 30 minutes. Who doesn’t love meals that are quick, delicious, and cooked with all fresh ingredients? This is definitely on my Ramadan iftaar meal plan.
You may add chicken to add protein to this one-pot rice dish. I don’t recommend adding beef or lamb meat if you are aiming for a quick meal. If you have precooked beef or lamb leftovers, go ahead and add them to the rice.
Where can I buy Sona Masouri small Rice?
Any Indian store in the US should have Sona Masoori rice. I highly recommend using this rice for rice recipes that call for small grain rice. Sona Masoori rice is unpolished rice grains that contain low GI value. Low GI value means they are a lot less in carbohydrates compared to other white rice. Not only does it have great nutrient value but they taste sweet and delicious. Also, If you are just starting to learn to make rice, then sona Masoori rice is definitely for you. You can’t go wrong with it even if you end up using a little extra water while cooking it.
- 2 cups Sona Masoori small rice
- 1 cup Tuvar Lilva(Pidgeon Peas) or Green Peas
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 to 5 peppercorns
- A cinnamon stick
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 tsps Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Cumin-Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Kashmir Chili powder, more if you like spicy
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of Garam Masala, optional
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 to 3 Thai green Chilis
- A handful of chopped Cilantro
- Wash the rice and soak it in water.
- Meanwhile, In an IP on saute setting or pressure cooker, heat oil. Add whole spices to it. Cook for a few seconds then add Ginger-garlic paste and all the powdered spices except the Garam Masala.
- Add tomatoes and Pidgeon peas. Saute until the oil starts to release and the tomatoes soften.
- Add rice, water, garam masala, green chilies, cilantro. Mix it well. Cover the lid. Cancel the saute and pressure cook on low-pressure setting for 10 minutes with natural steam release. Pressure cook on medium-high for two whistles then reduce the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve it with Raita(Indian Yogurt Sauce) or Kachumbar(Indian Salad).
Tip- I love adding potatoes, and eggplant to my Tikhi Khichdi. You can add your favorite vegetables if you like. Adding chicken to this dish makes it a perfect meal with protein. Add chicken while sauteing spices and tomatoes.
I love seeing your feedback on my recipes. Also, it helps me encourage and inspire to create better content. Try my recipes if you find the ingredients suitable for your palate. Share my blog if you like my content. And, leave me a comment below with your feedback if I inspired or helped you with your meal prep ideas.