Perfect for a Game-day snack or an appetizer. My Ammi’s(mother) crispy masala potato recipe. My entire family loves eating these crispy potatoes with Gujarati Kadhi Khichdi. Baked and pan-fried recipe with tips and tricks for perfect potatoes.
Story Behind Crispy Masala Potato Recipe
My mother pan-fries these potatoes to serve them next to Kadhi-Khichdi. I have never come across any other family serving crispy potatoes with Kadhi Khichdi other than mine lol. Let me know in the comments if your family has the same kadhi-potato tradition.
To make my life easier with kids and for the sake of those lazy days, I like to bake them instead of pan-frying. If you want to pan-fry, then you do you. I have added instructions for baking and pan-frying.
Culture Fun Fact
Gujaratis(Western Indians) have an officially assigned day for ”Kadhi Khichdi” for their 5-day marriage ceremonies.
What's in this Masala Potato Recipe?
This recipe makes a great super bowl snack with a slight kick of spices. It can be made ahead and it is gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- Potatoes: I have used Yukon gold, Idaho(russet), and red potatoes for this recipe. Yukon tends to break very easily while pan-frying and flipping on a baking sheet. Red and Russet seem to hold the shape while creating perfectly crispy chips. The choice is yours!
- Oil: I like to use olive oil for cooking. My Ammi always used peanut oil for this recipe. Vegetable oil would work great as well.
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: The only chili powder you'll find in my pantry. All of my recipes use Kashmiri red chili powder. It gives the food a bright red color and it is a moderately spicy taste.
- Cumin-Coriander Powder: A blend of toasted cumin and coriander powder. Don't skip adding this ;).
- Turmeric Powder: I am adding ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder to this recipe.
- Salt: any table salt would work. I am using Himalayan salt but table salt would work great as well. You'll have to adjust the quantity.
Tips for Crispy Masala Potatoes:
- Rinse thinly sliced potatoes a couple of times with warm water. Rinsing sliced potatoes gets rid of excess starch.
- Soak the sliced potatoes in hot water for 5 to 15 minutes before baking or pan-frying for crispy potatoes.
- Pat dry the sliced potatoes well before baking or frying.
- Firm Russet potatoes are the best for making crispy potato chips.
- Add Kashmiri chili powder while baking the chips for a smokey flavor.
- Sprinkle Kashmiri chili powder after baking the chips for a non-smokey flavor.
- For pan-fried potatoes, shallow fry them on medium-high heat with ¼ cup oil in a Cast Iron skillet, steel skillet, or a Wok. You won't get a good crispy texture with non-stick or enameled skillets.
What to serve Masala Potato with:
These crispy potatoes can be served as a snack with chutney raita (yogurt sauce) as well.
More Indian Potato Recipes:
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need:
Crispy Masala Potato | Baked Masala Potato Chips
- 5 medium Idaho potatoes , russet
- A generous drizzle of oil , or 4 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt , or to taste
- A pinch of Chaat masala , optional
- Water for washing, cleaning and soaking the potatoes
For Shallow Frying Option
- ¼ cup oil
Baked Crispy Masala Potatoes
- Thoroughly wash and scrub the potatoes under running water.
- Remove the peels with a peeler or a carving knife. You may keep the skin on if you like.
- Thinly slice the potatoes with a knife or use a mandolin. Rinse them with warm water a couple of times.
- Soak the sliced potatoes in hot water for 5 to 15 minutes. This will help cook crispy potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a large baking sheet with oil or line it with aluminum foil.
- Drain the water and pat dry the potato slices completely. Drizzle oil on potatoes and toss them well.
- Add salt, turmeric, cumin-coriander, and Kashmiri chili powder for smokey potatoes. Sprinkle chili powder after baking for non-smokey flavors. Toss and combine the spices.
- Transfer the potato slices to a lined baking sheet and spread them evenly. If needed spread them on two baking sheets.
- Bake it at 400 F for 18 to 20 minutes or until crispy. If needed turn the chips around 10 minutes for even cooking. Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle Chaat Masala and Kashmiri Chili powder(if not added while baking). Toss well to combine the spices.
- Serve as a snack, side dish, or appetizer.
Shallow Fried Potatoes
- Follow 1-4 instructions from baking instructions.
- Heat ¼ cup oil in a large wok or a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add pat dried thinly sliced potatoes. Add salt and turmeric powder. Stir gently with a flat metal spatula. Let potatoes cook on one side for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn the potatoes and cook on another side until golden and cooked through. Stir in between for even cooking and crispy texture. Turn the heat down to low-medium.
- Add cumin-coriander powder and Kashmiri chili powder to potatoes. Toss or stir gently and coat the spices.
- Transfer the chip to a large bowl. Sprinkle Chaat Masala and serve.