Meet my favorite Tandoori Salmon Skewers – super quick, easy, and no fuss! Great for Ramadan, parties, or when you want a fast, healthy salmon fix with that awesome Indian tandoori twist. Quick, tasty, and always a hit with my kids!
This Tandoori Salmon Skewers recipe is super easy—a delicious combination of tandoori flavors with Salmon on the skewers hits the spot. Perfect for a delicious, healthy meal or appetizer. You are in for a treat that's simple to make and super yummy. Let's get cooking!
Ingredients for Salmon Skewers
- Boneless salmon fillet (cut into cubes for skewers): Cutting boneless salmon into cubes is easier, and helps with quick dinner prep.
- Tomato paste: I have recently developed a love for good-quality paste. Adding just a teaspoon of tomato paste gives a hint of sweetness.
- Kashmiri chili powder: Kashmiri chili powder is one of my favorites. It is perfect for a gentle kick without overpowering the spiciness.
- Yogurt: great for tenderizing salmon cubes and as the base for the marinade. Tandoori isn't tandoori without yogurt.
- Ground cumin: A must-have ingredient for tandoori masala.
- Ground coriander: Another must-have ingredient for tandoori masala and Indian cooking.
- Grated ginger and garlic: freshly grated ginger and garlic or store-bought paste should work fine. I have a recipe for homemade ginger-garlic paste if you need one.
- Zucchini: Turns out, my kids – who insist they're not fans of zucchini – are happily munching on thinly sliced zucchini on skewers alongside tandoori salmon. It's a win-win, adding not just a surprising twist to their taste buds but also adding vibrant colors for that extra pop in my food photography! Who knew zucchini could be the sneaky hero of the meal? 😉
- Oil: I am using olive oil for this recipe but any neutral oil should work fine.
- Salmon: If you have no salmon or are just not a fan, use another firm and meaty fish like tilapia, or even shrimp. For a vegetarian option, you can use tofu or paneer.
- Dairy-free: Opt for dairy-free yogurt like almond or coconut yogurt. These might help maintain the creaminess and tanginess required for the tandoori marinade.
Feel free to adjust the quantities and ingredients based on your preferences, and enjoy this flavorful tandoori recipe.
How to Serve Tandoori Salmon Skewers
- Cilantro Chutney: traditionally tandoori meat is served with zesty cilantro chutney for a burst of fresh and herby flavor. Dip the skewers generously for an extra kick.
- Raita: Cool and refreshing cilantro chutney raita is also a great option. It is a yogurt-based dip that balances the spice of the tandoori marinade, creating a delightful contrast.
- Naan or Rice: The combination of tandoori salmon with either Naan or basmati rice creates a complete meal.
- Lemon Wedges: A squeeze of lemon is always great on tandoori seafood and meat.
- Lemon Pickled Onion: I love the kick of crunchy and citrusy onion with Tandoori fish and kebabs. Toss together thinly sliced red onion, a generous squeeze of lemon juice, and salt. Cover and set them in the fridge until ready to serve the Salmon skewers.
How to remove skin from Salmon
- Put the salmon on a cutting board, skin side down.
- Use the knife to make a small cut at the tail end (bottom) of the salmon. Hold onto the tail so the salmon stays in place.
- Slide the knife gently along the skin, almost flat like you're sliding it under a sheet of paper.
- Take your time and go slowly. The skin should come off without taking too much of the salmon.
- Run your fingers over the surface of the salmon to check for any remaining pin bones. Gently remove any bones you find.
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need
Salmon Skewers FAQ
How long to grill salmon kabobs or skewers?
Grill each side for approximately 3-4 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and has a nice char.
How long to cook salmon kabobs in oven?
Preheat oven to 425 F. Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes.
More Fish Recipes
- Oven Roasted Mackerel
- Salmon Coconut Lime Curry
- Fish Biryani Recipe
- Baked Fish Masala
- Pomfret Fish Curry
- Fish Tagine
Tandoori Salmon Skewers
- 2 salmon portions , boneless and skin off cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ tablespoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tablespoon whole-fat plain yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon salt , adjust to taste as tomato paste usually has some salt
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small Zucchini , thinly sliced for skewering
Preheating the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. If using bamboo wood skewers, soak them into water before prepping for salmon.
Preparing the Salmon:
- Clean and pat dry salmon with paper towel. Start by slicing the fillet or portion into long, even strips then cut into cubes of your desired size. (see notes in index for how to remove skin from fillet)
Marinating the Salmon:
- In a bowl, combine salmon cubes, tomato paste, Kashmiri chili powder, whole-fat plain yogurt, ground cumin, ground coriander, salt, grated ginger, grated garlic, and oil. Mix well to coat the spices.
Assembling the Skewers:
- Line a parchment paper on a baking sheet or lightly oil it. Thread the marinated salmon cubes on skewers, adding thinly sliced zucchini in between. Repeat the skewers until all the salmon is used.
- Place the skewers on a lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 400°F for approximately 15 minutes or until the salmon is cooked through and has a nice golden color.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Once cooked, transfer the skewers to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired. Serve the Tandoori Salmon Skewers with your favorite sides, such as cilantro chutney, raita, basmati rice or naan bread.
- If you prefer, you can also grill the skewers for a smoky flavor. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and grill the skewers for about 3-4 minutes per side or until the salmon is cooked through.
Nutrition information is sourced from a third-party application and should be considered as approximate figures for reference purposes only.