Indo-American Creamy Meatball Curry is our family favorite. We absolutely love having this with a bowl of Rice and Salad(Kachumbar). So easy to prepare, creamy and dreamy!
Indo-American Meatball Curry:
I love creating modern Indian recipes. Though I am American by law, my heart and soul is pure Indian ;). America introduced me to so many wonderful dishes that I would have never imagined eating in my entire life in India. This recipe is surely my Indian way to express love for all the wonderful American food I have ate and all the wonderful friends I made. This recipe is our go-to. Easy, and quick to prepare, yet tastes phenomenal.
What’s In My Meatball Curry Recipe:
Meat, Dairy & Produce
- Ground meat: I have used ground beef, chicken, and lamb for this recipe. Ground chicken meatballs cook faster than lamb and beef. Our personal favorite is chicken and beef for this recipe.
- Minced onion: adding minced onion to meat ball keeps the meat moist. Squeeze out all the access water from the onion before adding it to the meat.
- Oil: I like using olive oil or sometimes a combination of oil and ghee.
- Creamy yogurt: I recommend using Greek yogurt for this recipe. This recipe is inspired by Authentic Indian Kofta. Authentic Indian koftas are made with thick and creamy yogurt. The meatball comes out soft and juicy with yogurt. You may skip the yogurt if you are lactose intolerant.
- Arrabiata sauce: I like using Arrabiata sauce for this recipe but any other tomato sauce would work as well.
- Heavy cream: we love heavy cream for this recipe. If you are lactose intolerant, you may substitute it with full fat coconut cream.
- Chopped cilantro: fresh cilantro is one of those ingredients that can't be replaced for any Indian recipes ;). Mild and earthy cilantro makes the meatball taste wonderful!
- Minced garlic
You may purchase the spices and pantry ingredients from my amazon store front for convenience. Click here to visit my amazon storefront.
- Kashmiri chili: Kashmiri chili powder is milder in taste and gives beautiful bright red color to the food. If this isn't for you then use sweet Hungarian Paprika. Kashmiri chili powder is easily available online or at any local Indian grocery stores.
- Chickpea flour: chickpea flour is great for binding. All major grocery stores in the US carry Bob's Redmill chickpea flour.
What to Serve Meatball Curry with:
I like to serve Meatball Curry with plain long grain rice or Naan and Indian onion-tomato salad.
If this recipe sounds good to you then you might like my other modern-Indian recipes.
- Oven-roasted Mackerel with Cilantro & Garlic
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Aloo Palak Recipe
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Cardamom
- Indian Chicken Curry Recipe
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need:
Meatball Curry | Indo-American Meatball Curry
- 2 pounds ground meat , use 80% lean and 20% fat for ground beef
- ½ cup minced onion , mince and squeeze out all the excess water before adding it into meatball mixture.
- 3-4 Tablespoons oil
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ½ cup creamy yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups Arrabiata sauce
- ¼ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried fenugreek , highly recommended for rich Indian curry taste
- Combine ground meat and the rest of the meatball ingredients in a food processor and knead all the ingredients like a dough on dough setting. Or, combine the ingredients in a large prep bowl and knead it by hand.
- Meatball mixture from food processor creates smooth texture of meatball & hand kneaded meat mixture has coarse & uneven texture.
- Apply some water or oil to your palms and shape about 2 inch round meatballs from meat mixture & place them on a plate.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottom pan on medium heat. Add meatballs and cook them for 4-5 minutes on one side then turn. Cook until golden brown or well done. Remove the meatballs and set them aside.
- In the same oil, add minced onions and cook until pink. Add chili flakes, turmeric powder, Arrabiata sauce, and water. Mix it well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on low medium or until the sauce starts to thicken up.
- Crush dried fenugreek between your palms and add it to the kofta curry. Add meatballs, heavy cream and mix gently. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve it hot with plain Rice or Naan and salad. Sometimes my boys like to have it with spaghetti or toasted sub sandwich with mozzarella. So good!
So yummy , couldn´t stop eating !
Thank you! I'm glad you got to try my recipe. 🙂
Shifa Rehman says
Made this right away after Safiya posted the recipe.. it was so delicious mashaa allah.. kids loved it and this recipe is a keeper. Jazaakiallahu khair dear for this wonderful recipe.
This means a lot ?! Jazakillah Khair for trying this recipe.
This sounds delicious.