What if I tell you that I have an easy fix lasagna recipe that tastes just like having butter chicken and garlic naan? Yes, you heard it right. The best and foolproof Butter Chicken Lasagna that tastes just like butter chicken and garlic naan.
Story Behind This Butter Chicken Lasagna
When I got married, my husband asked me to make Lasagna as his mother makes. Though I like the layers of pasta and cheese, I wasn't a huge fan of ground beef cooked and mixed with tomato sauce. Growing up, beef just wasn't part of my primary diet.
I grew up eating Butter Chicken, Chicken Tikka, and anything curried up with Indian spices. My husband loves all the Indian dishes so I figured why not give the classic Lasagna a little Indian makeover and create something that we both can enjoy eating. That's how Butter Chicken Lasagna was invented in my kitchen.
What's Special About This Lasagna Recipe?
I have used fresh cilantro and garlic in the butter chicken and lasagna layers. Adding Cilantro and garlic to cheese then layering the noodles on top makes the flavors of cilantro-garlic stick to the pasta.
When you take that one bite of butter chicken with garlicky pasta, it's like eating creamy butter chicken with garlic naan. You got to try it to experience what I am talking about. So delicious!
I used to make Butter Chicken from scratch. I still cook it from scratch but when motherhood keeps you busy, you have to come up with an easier way to fix dinners and that includes my curries as well lol.
- Chicken Breast: I am using chicken breast for this recipe. Boneless chicken thigh or tenders would work fine as well. Cut the chicken breast into small bite-size pieces.
- Lasagna Noodles: my kids love butter chicken lasagna and request it for dinner quite often. I like using uncooked noodles for lasagna rather than boiling it before baking.
- Butter: butter chicken has to have butter, of course, right? Well, you don't have to if you don't want to add it; or use half butter and half oil.
- Mozzarella Cheese: I have used 1, 1 ½ to 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese for this recipe. I am set on 1 ½ cups for our taste preference.
- Marinara Sauce: I like using marinara or Arrabiata sauce. below are the brands I use quite often.
Produce and Spices
- Cilantro-Garlic: the combo of minced garlic and cilantro is one of the best parts of this recipe. I am using a small bunch of cilantro leaves and 6 large garlic cloves to sprinkle on top of the lasagna layers.
- Chili flakes & Kashmiri Chili Powder: I am adding both for a kick of spicy. Add both or just one of them. The choice is yours!
- Cumin-Coriander Powder: Modern or authentic Indian has to have cumin-coriander powder in my opinion ;).
- Turmeric Powder: I am using ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder in this recipe.
- Salt: the measurements for salt are for Himalayan salt. Adjust the quantity according to the type of salt you use and as per your taste. Always add less first, taste test then add more if needed.
How to Layer Butter Chicken Lasagna
Layer it just like you layer a Lasagna ;). Below are the step-by-step images of how to layer the butter chicken lasagna.
This is a great make-ahead recipe for meal preparation. Butter Chicken can be prepared at least 2 weeks ahead and stored in the freezer in an airtight container. Thaw it a night before in the refrigerator, reheat the curry, and layer the lasagna for baking. Great for quick meal prep or Ramadan meals.
Freezing Butter Chicken Lasagna
This recipe is great for freezer meals. Baked lasagna stays great in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. This is such a great meal to have prepared ahead of time for Ramadan.
To make this meal gluten-free, you may use gluten-free noodles or Zucchini, Yellow Squash. Baking time for gluten-free options stays the same.
- For the best results and taste cook it fresh and do not substitute ingredients. This recipe was developed to cook in a 9" by 13" Pan or Dish. Adjust the layering according to the size of the baking dish you are using.
- Sprinkle extra chopped cilantro and garlic on the top layer before baking for deep flavors of cilantro and garlic.
- The marinara sauce makes this recipe easier to cook. The curry recipe can be used with rice or regular pasta as well.
How to Serve Butter Chicken Lasagna
Serve it as the main dish next to your favorite salad or side dish. This recipe is great for feeding a crowd.
More Chicken Recipes
Butter Chicken Lasagna
- 15 lasagna noodles , uncooked
- 3 chicken breasts , cut into small bite size pieces
- 3 cups Marinara or Arrabiata sauce , or one 20 to 28oz jar
- ¼ cup Butter or oil , or 2 tablespoons butter & 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup warm water , to scrape off the sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream , ½ cup for less creamy butter chicken
- a bunch of cilantro , cleaned, stems removed and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic , more if you like garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes , optional
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
Butter Chicken Curry
- Preheat the oven to 365 F. Wash and dry Cilantro. Chop cilantro and garlic cloves in a food processor or a chopper and set it aside.
- Heat oil or butter in a large skillet on high heat. Add chicken, all the spices, and 3 tablespoons of cilantro-garlic mix. Mix it well and cook until all liquid and chicken juice are gone completely.
- Add marinara sauce to the chicken. Cover the skillet and cook on low-medium heat until chicken is cooked through for about 5 minutes. Now add heavy cream and dry fenugreek. Mix it gently and turn off the heat.
Layering the Lasagna
- Take about ½ cup full butter chicken sauce(only sauce, no chicken) and spread it evenly at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place 5 uncooked lasagna sheets on top (adjust the way you place the lasagna sheet according to the shape of your baking dish)
- Spread half of the butter chicken evenly on top of the lasagna sheet. Spread the butter chicken evenly to cover the uncooked noodles. Sprinkle half-cup mozzarella cheese and some of the minced cilantro garlic.
- Repeat the layers. Add ¼ cup warm water to the pan to scrape off the sauce. Spread it evenly on the top of the lasagna. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the baking dish with Aluminum foil. Bake the lasagna at 365 F for 40-45 minutes. Serve it immediately.
Tried this Recipe? Tag me on Instagram @feastwithsafiya #feastwithsafiya
This looks mazing, I will give it a try this week!! One question, can I use rotisserie chicken if I'm rushed? Thank you.
Hi Rose, yes, of course, you can use rotisserie chicken. Adjust the salt quantity of this recipe since rotisseries are usually well-seasoned with salt. Let me know how it turns out. 🙂
I really like this recipe