This easy Chicken Biryani recipe is loved and adored by my family and friends. An absolutely flavorful Indian dish with tender Meat and Rice will become your family favorite.
Chicken Biryani Recipe in a Dutch Oven
I have ditched the pressure cooker and adopted the Dutch oven for my rice dishes for many years. Yes, that includes my absolute favorite Biryani. That hustle and bustle of changing 3 different pots just didn't seem right when you can fix your favorite easy Chicken Biryani in a versatile Dutch oven on the stovetop, then in the oven, and to the table.
The heavy lid of my new Milo by Kana is heavy enough to seal the steam required for cooking the perfect Biryani.
I cooked the Chicken Curry in Milo by Kana then layered it with fried onions and rice and popped the Milo in the oven for baking. And, viola, the phenomenally delicious Chicken Biryani was ready in no time. I wish you could smell the aroma of my Biryani when I opened the lid.
Steam Locking Method for Biryani
Traditionally Biryani is cooked with the steam locking method. Chicken curry layered with partially cooked rice. Locking the steam in the pot and cooking the rice to perfection. Steaming gives the Chicken Biryani the aroma and flavors it is famous for all over South Asia.
Make it One-Pot
If you don't want to go through the entire process of cooking the rice separately, try one-pot Biryani by simply adding soaked rice on top of the chicken curry.
- Add 2 cups Rice to 4 cups Water ratio for one-pot cooking on a stovetop. Add whole spices with the onions.
- Cover the lid and cook on low medium for 20 minutes without uncovering. Uncover and check if rice is cooked completely. Cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes If needed.
Chicken Biryani Masala
Make my homemade Biryani Masala or purchase the boxed Biryani Masala spices from your local Indian grocery store.
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need:
What to Serve Biryani with:
I like to serve Biryani with Onion Raita and Chutney Raita. They go great with Biryani
More biryani recipes: Mutton Biryani Recipe using homemade Biryani Masala.
Easy Chicken Biryani
For Chicken Curry
- 4 boneless chicken breasts , cut into about 1 ½ inches small pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes , chopped
- ¼ cup oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion , thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon biryani masala , more for spicy biryani
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala , optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ⅔ cup full-fat plain yogurt , preferably Indian yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 2 cups basmati rice , soaked in water for 15 minutes
- salt to taste
- 8 to 10 cups water
- 1 small lemon juiced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 stick of Cinnamon , optional
- 2 green cardamom pods , optional
- 2 cloves , optional
- 1 green chili , optional
- ¼ teaspoon food coloring like red or saffron orange , optional
- 8 to 10 threads of saffron , soaked it in about ¼ cup hot water
- Bring water to a boil in a large pan and add washed Basmati Rice, whole spices, green chili, salt, and lemon juice. Cook until rice is partially cooked or Al-Dente. Take out the rice in a large colander and drain all the water. Set it aside. (detailed instructions on basmati rice recipe)
- Cut chicken breast into about 1 ½-inch cubes. In a large bowl, combine chicken, Biryani Masala, Ginger-Garlic paste, Kashmiri chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix it well and set it aside.
- Heat oil in the Dutch oven on medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until golden.
- Now add the marinated chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink from outside then add tomatoes and yogurt. Cover the lid and cook for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until curry thickens. We are looking for saucy curry. Not too watery or not too dry.
- Sprinkle cilantro and mint on the chicken curry. Layer the curry with parboiled Basmati rice.
- Swirl food coloring and soaked saffron on top of the rice layer. Cover the lid and pop the Dutch oven in the oven.
- Bake the Biryani at 365 F for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve it hot with chutney raita or onion yogurt raita.